Commitment includes pledge to work with standards-setting bodies and industry peers
The Biden-Harris Administration announced today that it has secured voluntary commitments from seven leading companies to help move toward safe, secure, and transparent development of artificial intelligence (AI) technology.
The commitments, undertaken by Amazon, Anthropic, Google, Inflection, Meta, Microsoft, and OpenAI, focus on guiding AI development with the principles of safety, security, and trust. Specifically, the companies have committed to:
- Ensuring Products are Safe Before Introducing Them to the Public
- The companies commit to internal and external security testing of their AI systems before their release.
- The companies commit to sharing information across the industry and with governments, civil society, and academia on managing AI risks.
- Building Systems that Put Security First
- The companies commit to investing in cybersecurity and insider threat safeguards to protect proprietary and unreleased model weights.
- The companies commit to facilitating third-party discovery and reporting of vulnerabilities in their AI systems.
- Earning the Public’s Trust
- The companies commit to developing robust technical mechanisms to ensure that users know when content is AI generated, such as a watermarking system.
- The companies commit to publicly reporting their AI systems’ capabilities, limitations, and areas of appropriate and inappropriate use.
- The companies commit to prioritizing research on the societal risks that AI systems can pose, including on avoiding harmful bias and discrimination, and protecting privacy.
- The companies commit to develop and deploy advanced AI systems to help address society’s greatest challenges.
A document released by the White House states that, “companies making this commitment pledge to work with industry peers and standards-setting bodies as appropriate towards developing a technical framework to help users distinguish audio or visual content generated by users from audio or visual content generated by AI.”
The announcement is part of continuing efforts by the Biden-Harris Administration to ensure AI is developed safely and responsibly.
Read more in Ensuring Safe, Secure, and Trustworthy AI and the related White House Fact Sheet.